How do you obtain a TIB?

If the merchandise is being imported as accompanying baggage by a traveler, this can become quite complicated. The traveler will be required to go to the port’s entry branch, often in a different building, and complete form CF 7501 Entry Summary. The traveler will also be required to post a bond to cover the temporary importation, which generally entails going to a surety’s office as well. Alternatively, the traveler might want to make arrangements, in advance of entering the U.S., with a Customs broker to handle the transaction. Your intended port of entry can supply you with a list of brokers permitted to handle transactions at that port. Finally, many business travelers might want to consider the ATA Carnet program as an alternative to the TIB procedure. The U.S. will only accept carnets as the entry for samples, advertising films and professional equipment or tools of trade that are to be used in the U.S. by the nonresident importer. For more information, please see our brochure ATA Carnets, or request it by writing U.S. Customs Service, P.O. Box #7407, Washington, D.C. 20044.
If the merchandise is being imported as cargo, the importer may either hire a broker to clear the goods through Customs, or the importer may go to the port of entry to clear the shipment. In that case, the importer should make arrangements in advance to secure a Customs bond in the amount of twice the amount of duties, taxes, etc., that would be owed on the importation. For help in determining the amount of duties that would be owed, please contact an import specialist at the port where your goods will be entering the country.
What are the bond exportation requirements?
Any article imported under the TIB provision must be exported within one year from the date of importation. However, upon application to the director of the port where the entry was filed, this one-year-period for exportation may be extended for further periods, which, when added to the initial one year, shall not exceed a total of three years. There are two exceptions to the above time limitations:
1. in the case of articles covered under Subheading 9813.00.75 (autos and parts for show purposes), the period of importation may not exceed six months and may not be extended;
2. articles covered under Subheading 9813.00.50 (tools of trade), if seized for reasons other than by suit of private persons, have the requirement of exportation suspended during the period of seizure.
In order to avoid paying liquidated damages, the importer must present proof to the Customs port where the entry occurred that the goods were exported. If the item(s) being exported are being sent as unaccompanied cargo, the importer should take personal responsibility for sending a copy of the bill of lading (proof that the merchandise was actually loaded onto a ship or other conveyance) to the entry office of the port where the goods first entered the country. Accompanying the bill of lading should be a reference to the original entry number (line 1 of the CF 7501). The description of the item on the bill of lading should match the description of the item on the CF 7501 in all particulars, including serial numbers or other identifying factors. If the importer has used a customs broker to complete the transaction, Customs advises the importer to ask the broker for proof that export documentation was actually provided to the entry branch at the port of entry.
If the item(s) being re-exported are accompanying the importer as baggage, the item(s) should be taken to the entry office (if the importer is leaving from the same location where he/she arrived) for Customs to verify that the item is leaving the country. If the importer is leaving from a different location than the one where the TIB was issued, he/she should take the item to the International Arrivals area (if leaving from an airport), or Customs border port office (if leaving through a land border) and request an inspector to fill out a CF 3495 Application for Exportation of Articles Under Special Bond. A copy of this CF form should then be sent by the importer to the original port of entry.
We want to emphasize, it is not enough to simply get proof of export from a Customs office. The importer must ensure that proof of exportation is submitted to the entry branch at the original port of entry in order to avoid liquidated damages.
In lieu of exportation, relief from liability may be obtained in any case in which the article is destroyed under Customs supervision within the original bond period.
Note: The importer should contact the original port of entry to determine exact requirements. Destruction may not have to happen in front of a Customs officer if the destroyed item is presented for inspection. (Please see section on Liability Issues.
However, in the case of articles under Subheading 9813.00.30, where articles are destroyed during the course of experiments or tests during the bond period, or any lawful extension, destruction need not be under Customs supervision but satisfactory proof of destruction shall be furnished to the port director with whom customs entry is filed.
Generally, destruction for purposes of satisfying the bond means destruction as an article of commerce. The article must have no commercial value whatsoever if it is to be considered destroyed.


Previous: Goods Eligible for TIB Entry

Next: What is TIB?

Copyright © 2009-2017 DOBORACING All rights reserved.  Manage